KAREN SUE BURNS
Mystery ~ Romance ~ Adventure
Rome Is the Perfect Setting
by Karen Sue Burns on November 17th, 2012

I love to travel and decided early on in the creation of my debut romantic suspense novel with Crimson Romance, In Hot Pursuit, that I wanted part of the action to take place in Rome, Italy. Rome is the perfect city for a newly rich thief to ramble around in and feel perfectly safe from any harm that might be brewing in Texas. It is also the perfect city for the two main characters, Quinn and Logan, to fall in love while they chase the thief.

My goal was to give the reader a taste of Rome by intertwining the search for the thief with its beauty and tourist attractions. In addition to the ambiance of the Roman streets and restaurants, Logan and Quinn visited five major monuments in their search: the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, St. Peter's Square, and the Coliseum. First, I used the Pantheon as "home port" for Quinn. It was a landmark close to their hotel and provided a sense of comfort for her.

The Spanish Steps is popular with Americans and the location of Quinn's first visual sighting of the thief at the Piazza di Spagna. The piazza is the street below the steps and once Quinn and Logan arrive there, the thief has disappeared. Quinn voices her frustration to Logan at not yet locating the thief and vows to herself that "she’d find that bitch and in Rome."
The Trevi Fountain is their next stop on their Roman journey hunting for the thief. Quinn and Logan both throw a US quarter into the water, over their left shoulder, ensuring a return visit to Rome per the urban legend. Quinn's thoughts on this simple, comforting act: "They had crossed an unspoken boundary. The warmth of his gaze filled her with hope. Hope that what lay ahead wouldn’t bite her in the butt. But at that moment, the planets in her world were in perfect alignment."
St. Peter’s Square and the Basilica have a special place in the plot as this is where Quinn learns the name of the Rome hotel where the thief is hiding out. It's their destination the morning after they first make love and where they cross the line of dancing around each other to acknowledging they are happy being in Rome, together. Logan kisses Quinn in the center of the Square and says: “That’s something I’ve wanted to do for twenty years. Thank you for being here with me.”

My final monument to share is the Coliseum, the background for the cover of In Hot Pursuit. I love this elliptical amphitheatre in the center of  Rome. Quinn loved it as well. It was completed in 80 A.D. and is a fabulous testament to the power and intelligence of mankind. It's a popular tourist attraction and it the beginning of the Pope's "Way of the Cross" procession each Good Friday. The interior is spooky if you imagine gladiators and battles and dripping blood.
I will continue to use the locations of my travels as settings for my novels. There is a beautiful world out there just waiting to be used in the plot of one of my stories.

Don't forget to check out all the other authors on the Crimson Wonderland Blog Hop by clicking on the blog badge to the right!! Gift cards (one $100 and two $50) will be provided to three lucky people who leave comments on any of the author blogs!! Why not start now with a comment here?

Posted in Blog Hop, Travel, Writing    Tagged with no tags

21 Comments

Kim Brooks - November 17th, 2012 at 12:17 PM
I am so glad to have found you on this blog hop. I loved seeing the photos on your page.
laurie goudge - November 17th, 2012 at 2:52 PM
I am so glad to have found you on this blog hop. I can't wait to read some of your works!
Rhonda - November 17th, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Love your shot of the Coliseum! Very neat idea to add your travels into your story settings. :)
Dawna Newman - November 17th, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Oh I love Rome, I never been there but I did live in Italy when I was younger and love the whole country. It's so beautiful.

vampiremistress2010(at)gmail(dot)com
April - November 17th, 2012 at 6:02 PM
I love blog hopping because it adds new books to my to read list! The library is my fav escape location! LOL!

grapeapril75(at)gmail(dot)com
Kaci Verdun - November 17th, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Rome is one of my favorite cities and what a destination for romance! Thanks for the doing the blog hop!
kacidesigns AT yahoo DOT com
Beckey - November 17th, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Thanks being a part of the hop and sharing the lovely pictures :)

BeckeyWhiteATgmailDOTcom
ki pha - November 18th, 2012 at 1:49 AM
I love to go back in time. Love a great historical romance novel!! London, Paris, Rome...
Any great stream punk, paranormal, mystery is good too that.
Thanks for the hop!!

kp_kazamei(at)yahoo(dot)com
Eva - November 18th, 2012 at 9:50 AM
Oh I really want to visit Rome so this book sounds amazing!!

booksconsidered[at]gmail[dot]com
Belinda G - November 18th, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Karen,

If I%u2019m not transported in the story, it%u2019s a disappointment. I treat each book as if I%u2019m a bystander watching the scenes as they unfold. I like that you incorporate your travels into your books. It makes the writing more real for you when you actually have been there, We the readers benefit from that. Nice meeting you!

Wonderful hop! Thanks for the opportunity for both of us to share.

Belinda G
belgre@comcast.net

MArianneTheresa - November 19th, 2012 at 1:58 AM
Ahhhh beautiful Rome, My interest is peeked already,
always great to meet a new author :))
Karen Sue Burns - November 19th, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Hey Y'all....Many thanks for all the nice comments. Hope that you are enjoying the blog hop. FYI, the hunt for the thief in IN HOT PURSUIT actually begins in Las Vegas. I've walked the streets and visited all the Las Vegas casinos and the Roman monuments that Quinn and Logan experience. Everytime I travel outside of Houston, I think about how I can use the location for a story. I'll be in New Orleans over Thanksgiving and will tour a cemetery for a scene in a ghost mystery that I'm publishing myself....writing is the perfect excuse to take a vacation!!
Trix - November 19th, 2012 at 11:51 AM
I've always wanted to see Rome--this sounds lovely!

vitajex(at)aol(dot)com
Lisa Walker - November 19th, 2012 at 9:24 PM
I totally agree with you about Rome. I was lucky enough to visit there two years ago and it was amazing! I can't wait to go back!
sqwalker2@hotmail.com
JanD - November 19th, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Rome is one of my dream vacation destination.
bituin76 at hotmail dot com
Joanne Hill - November 19th, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Rome has always appealed to me - I studied Roman history at university and always planned to visit one day.

Rionna Morgan - November 20th, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Yay!! Just stopping by on my way around the hop! This is so much fun!

Rionna
Carole-Ann Vance - November 20th, 2012 at 2:15 PM
What a perfect reason to go on a vacation...to research for your book! Love your next trip noted, New Orleans plus a cemetery!...I will be back to hear more!
Brittany - November 20th, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Thanks for participating in the blog hop!

Rome is absolutely wonderful!!!

bme722 at gmail dot com
Mel Bourn - November 20th, 2012 at 8:54 PM
I would love to use research in the guise of taking a vacation, but I don't think my husband will buy it. Rome looks amazing.
mel
bournmelissa at hotmail dot com
Melissa - November 20th, 2012 at 9:27 PM
What a great setting for your book. I'd love to visit Rome sometime. However, it won't be anytime soon, so I guess I'll have to stick to the books. :)

Thanks for participating in the hop.
imsocool(at)gmail(dot)com